Skip to content Skip to left sidebar Skip to right sidebar Skip to footer

Council Tax Support

If you are concerned about paying your bills, there are options around paying your council tax. Some people may also be eligible for support.

Please contact Charnwood BC as soon as possible. They will be as flexible as they can and are aware that many people have concerns at the moment due to the coronavirus pandemic.

10 Monthly Payments – payment break

If you pay council tax over 10 months, you normally do not make payments in February or March. This is a payment break. You can ask to take the payment break for the year 2020/21 earlier in the new financial year (after April 1 2020) instead of February and March 2021. Your total bill remains the same.

12 Monthly Payments – payment break

If you are currently spreading your payments over 12 months, you could switch to a 10-month plan and request to not make payments for two months of the following financial year. Please note that switching to a 10-month plan means your monthly bill will be higher than if spread out over 12 months. The total amount remains the same.

Council Tax Support

Some people may also qualify for Council Tax Support. CBC has an existing scheme which means people who qualify can receive up to an 80 per cent discount on their council tax bills.

Find out more and apply for Council Tax Support

The Government has also just announced that in light of the coronavirus pandemic, people receiving council tax support will also get up to another £150 off their council tax bills. If you pay less than £150 a year at the moment, then you will pay nothing. If you currently receive council tax support, this latest reduction will be applied automatically.

For more advice about issues relating to Council Tax Support, please email or call 0345 6091258 (calls charged at local rates).